Total Pageviews

Monday, January 31, 2011

Ps 99:1 The Lord reigns,
let the nations tremble;
he sits enthroned between the cherubim,
let the earth shake. (New International Version)



It seems like the "The Lord reigns" should be a given... Yet the Psalmist announces it like it the greatest news ever... Either I am reading it wrong or the Psalmist is easily excitable. I think I may be reading it wrong... well not wrong, but not with the right attitude.  I think I may have become sort of smug or complacent about God's rule.  It says here that the nations should tremble.  Is it possible that I have become so preoccupied by having Jesus as my "good buddy" that I have forgotten just how majestic God and His rule are?  I don't remember to tremble at God's presence, nor do I shake with fear.  I don't mean the kind of fear produced by scary movies or like being afraid of the dark... No, I mean the kind of fear produced by being in the presence of something so much greater than me.  Greatness that should make my knees knock.  The greatness and wonder that God who so awesome would love me is just beyond my scope of imagination.

In the children's books The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis, the God character who meets with the kids is a huge Lion.  He befriends the kids and helps them... even to die for them (raised from the dead of course).  At one point Aslan (the lion) tells the children that they must never forget that He is not a tame lion.  he may love them, and he may save them and all that... but He is not tame!  Have I settled for a tame God?  A God that I can control?  A God that I call when I need something?  Or, do I fall, tremble and shake at the presence of a God who controls me? A God who calls me?  Hmmm...

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff Bill. We just did a small group where we watched Francis Chan's video on the fear of God, number 1 video in his "Basic" series. It goes hand in hand with what you are saying and the Psalm. Keep up the good blogging.

    ReplyDelete