Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 26, 2011

God's Extravegance...

Back in 1994, a couple in the church I was pastoring called up and said that they needed to visit with me... That always makes me nervous.  I set up a time.  I worried that maybe I had done something to hurt or offend them.  I prayed and prayed... and worried some more.
The day of our meeting finally arrived.  I took a big breath and sat down with them.  Being a good pastor, I volunteered to open our time together in prayer.  I remember praying something about "love" and "communication" and "forgiveness"... just in case.  
Then they dropped the bomb shell.
They had paid some money down to go on a tour of Israel that was being led by my mentor.  Because of an unexpected family schedule conflict, they would not be able to go on the trip... I felt bad for them but still didn't get what they might be upset with me about...  I know, I can be sort of dense sometimes.

They wanted to give the trip to Israel to me.  WOW!  I was astounded.  What an extravagant gift.  I almost couldn't believe it.  They were paying several thousand dollars for me to take their place on this trip.  I still owe them a debt of gratitude for giving me that wonderful opportunity.
What is the most extravagant gift you have ever received?  A new car? Jewelry? How about this...
"You see , at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly.  Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a  good person someone might possibly dare.  But God demonstrates his won love for us in this: While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."  Romans 5:6-8
What an extravagant gift from God!  While we had no reason to expect anything from God, He chose to give us the very thing we couldn't afford.  Like the gift I received from that couple, this gift from God was not deserved.  It was something I couldn't have paid for myself, no matter how much I wanted it.  Yet, God wants us to have this great gift... so much that He was willing to give what it required for us to receive it. 
I have always thought it a wonder that God gives this gift for the ungodly, while they (I) are (am) still ungodly.  He doesn't expect us to somehow become deserving of it before we can receive it.  "while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." 
Thank you, Lord for such extravagance.  Thank you, for loving us so much.  Help me, today, to live in such a way that I reflect your extravagance by extending that same love to all whom I meet.
Grace and Peace in Jesus,
Pastor Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment