Total Pageviews

Monday, March 21, 2011

Light Living

Your yourselves used to be in the darkness, but since you have become the Lord's people, you are in the light.  So you must live like people who belong to the light. Ephesians 5:8 (GNT)

I didn't wear glasses until just before seventh grade started.  Junior High is not the optimal time to start wearing glasses! However, for being able to see... it was a miracle!  I still remember coming out of the optometrist's office, standing on Sherman Avenue of Coeur D' Alene Idaho.  I could look up one side of the street and down the other and see colors and shapes that I hadn't know where there.  I was between 2nd and 3rd Streets but could read the signs clear up on 7th Street. WOW!  I couldn't believe it.  Things were so vividly clear that I was stunned by what I hadn't been able to see.  As we drove home I noticed how green the fir trees were and how black the highway was...

I hadn't really known that I needed glasses.  I squinted at the black board in school.  Playing baseball, the batter was blurry image when I pitched.  I didn't realize how muted the colors around me were.  I just assumed that was normal.  I figured that was the way everyone saw things, because that was the only way I had ever seen things.  I couldn't imagine any other vision.

After getting glasses I won't go anywhere without them.  I can't see well enough to drive, or walk for that matter.  I can distinguish some people by the way they move or by hearing their voice.  I am truly blind as a bat without my glasses.

But, having been made able to see, why would I want to go back to not seeing?  It wouldn't make any sense to live as blind man when I don't have to.... So, why would I want to live as one who hasn't experienced the light of Jesus?  Way back when, when I first experience Jesus in my life, it was like walking from the pitch black darkness to the wonder of living in bright light.  Things had color.  Things had shape.  The light of Christ brought a clarity to my life that I had never had before.  As one who "belongs to the light", why would I want to go back?  Having been called by God (as all Christians are) why would I want to give that up or deny it.  The metaphor of my glasses is not even powerful enough to express the foolishness of going back to what I was before the miracle Jesus has wrought in my life.  Having experienced Jesus I can't pretend that I haven't.  Having experience Jesus, I don't want to take Him off.  I want to live like "one who belongs to the light".  How about you?
Lord Jesus, help me to live in your light... Let me live as one who sees.
In the Light,
Pastor Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment