Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Rest is Best!

Watchman Nee wrote... "Whereas God worked six days and then enjoyed his sabbath rest, Adam began his life with the sabbath; for God works before He rests, while man must first enter into God's rest, and then alone can he work.  Moreover it was because God's work of creation was truly complete that  Adam's life could begin with rest.  And here is the Gospel: that God has gone one stage further and has completed also the work of redemption, and that we need do nothing whatever to merit it, but can enter by faith directly into the values of His finished work."

I find that to be an intriguing  thought... that Adam was created on the sixth day means that his actual first day was God's seventh or sabbath... Life for us begins with rest!  I can get so caught up in the anxiety and rush of life that I forget what is most important... entering God's rest, or as the Psalms and book of Hebrews puts it... "today if you hear His voice don't harden your hearts... enter His rest".  God created us for rest, not work.  God created us to be complete in everything He provides.  He provides the righteousness I need to enter heaven.  He provides all the material things I need until I get to heaven. 

That really is the message of the Gospel, isn't it?  "Come you who are heavy laden and I will give you rest."  is the way Jesus put it.  When he told the fishermen by the sea to "come follow me"... I think that it was a call to rest in Him.

I hope you find rest, today and tomorrow.
Joy in Jesus
Pastor Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment